Spirits Unlimited: Shaking Things Up for a Regional Brand
“We’ve been in the community a long time, but our customer base is fading.”
“Younger customers see our stores as dark and depressing, and our selection as bottom shelf. They won’t even come in.” Spirits Unlimited was challenged, but my client had a vision for his business and his brand.
- First up was establishing the value proposition of providing the best selection and competitively priced variety with exceptional customer service and a positive local shopping experience.
- Next was creating a tagline that delivered on that value proposition—“We’ll Keep You in the Best of Spirits.”
- Finally, I created a bold logo with retail functionality—quick visibility and recognition in strip mall signage, newspaper ads, packaging, displays, printer receipts, coupons, and the website. It was an evolution as well as a revolution. Customers had to know this was the new and improved Spirits Unlimited.
Enhancing customer touchpoints for a unified brand experience was key:
- Better ads featured the new logo and tagline and incorporated a smarter structure for improved readability.
- Weekly rotating templates showed young, vibrant and engaged customers.
- The list of store locations highlighted Spirits Unlimited’s strong regional presence.
- “Online Only” specials appealed to the younger target audience, changing behavior by driving them to the website—greeted by a more user-friendly experience with recipes, reviews, discounts, videos, social media and a blog.
- Stores were renovated to be brighter, inviting, well-stocked and easy to navigate.
- All employees were required to wear branded vests and provide friendly, knowledgeable service.
Over a decade into its revitalized brand, Spirits Unlimited is still adding locations and enjoying a strong brand image in social media that’s consistent with its brand promise and brand experience.